Sunday, November 27, 2011

Rough night

Thomas had a rough night, and we are not sure yet if chest closure will happen today or not. He seemed fussy and uncomfortable, his NIRS values were lower than usual, and he seemed like he was working harder to breathe over the ventilator. They made the decision to increase his sedation and give him medication to paralyze him. I'm still waiting on rounds so will know more after that.

This weekend has been an emotional one for me, and my hormones aren't helping! The busyness of the past two weeks has slowed down....thank goodness. Everything has kind of caught up with me....the magnitude of everything we have been through, how exhausted I am, etc. I am just so worried about Thomas and hate to leave his side. This is quite a roller coaster, and things can change so quickly. It's also hard to not know when the next steps forward will occur. This is definitely teaching me patience. Im also sad that TJ is heading back to savannah to go back to work. I'm going to miss him, but real life must go on outside the CICU.

Thank you to everyone who has been leaving sweet messages,comments, and texts. I'm still not up for phone calls or visitors, but I cherish every message! I just want to sit with Thomas, look at him, and pray for him. After all, this is my maternity leave. By the time we get home it will probably be time for me to return to work. I am just craving time alone with my precious baby.

Please keep praying for healing for Thomas!
I'll update more specific prayer requests after rounds so I can hear their take on what happened overnight.

“My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. (2 Corinthians 12:9 NLT)

12 comments:

  1. Oh, Melissa, that post made me cry. It has to be awful for you still healing after the c-section, hormone fluctuations in your body and the never-ending worry about your tiny baby. Today I will pray for YOU whenever I pray for Thomas, which will be many times during the day. I hope you feel the love I am wrapping around you.
    Karen Gates

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr.Behm, the Lewis familiy continues to pray for Thomas and for your recovery and strength. I came across this quote from Eleanor Roosevelt and wanted to share it with you: "We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot." Try and rest some if you can as you are recovering as well. Lacy Lewis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa, I am holding you all close to my heart today. I know it will be a hard day for you with TJ leaving. I will be thinking of you and praying for you today in church. I will pray hard for sweet baby Thomas, as I do everyday. I will also pray for TJ, as I am sure it will be difficult for him to leave you and Thomas. My heart goes out to you all. PRAYING, PRAYING, PRAYING
    With Love, thoughts, and MANY PRAYERS,
    Ginny (PHillips)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are still praying hard for you all. Let us know if you need anything, ok?
    Love, Jen and Joey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa...we haven't met but Karen Gates shared your story with us and I check on you every couple of days. We pray for Thomas often and mother to mother, sister to sister I will lift you up as well. Love from Ohio, Whitney Komjati

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Melissa, so comforting to know that everything that we experience, the Lord has already been there, and knows how you feel. I pray that you will experience His nearness as never before and that you will be comforted. Praying for you all. Praying that sweet baby Thomas has a better day and that your sweet hubby has safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how my heart goes out to you~~~~~I'm on the way out the door but will be praying & asking everyone I know to do the same
    Much love & prayers~~~The Boone Family

    ReplyDelete
  8. I prayed extra hard for your family at church this morning. You are so much stronger than you realize, and Thomas has already touched so many lives. The faith with which you and TJ are facing this trial is incredibly inspirational. God has big plans for you all, that's for sure. The hormones make normal life more difficult, I can't imagine adding your stress to it. Hoping for an easier day and chest closure at the best time for Thomas, even if that isn't today. Much love to you guys! -the DiGiuseppes

    ReplyDelete
  9. Melissa- we are constantly praying for Thomas, you and TJ. We love you and we know that God has a special plan. I have asked all of my friends that I serve with in the kid/nursery area at church to start praying for you! You are so inspiring with the amount of courage and strength you have! We love you!

    Don't worry about anything, but in everything, through prayer and petition with Thanksgiving, let your request be made to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses every thought, will guard your hearts and your minds in Jesus Christ.
    Phillipians 4:6-7

    In Him,
    Christine and Scott Fournier

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so thankful for your updates. I check in in Rhomas' progress throughout each day. We are praying constantly; every time we pray before a meal with the kids we pray for Thomas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Praying for all of you. Somehow it seems life should stop when you are going through such a stressful time but it doesn't. Many years ago I had a sweet boy who had open heart surgery & can remember how it felt to not want to leave his side.
    Beth Schultz

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't even imagine how emotionally rough this has been for you. Every time I read your posts I am amazed at your strength, faith, and courage. I will continue to pray for you, TJ, and Thomas. I pray that you will get a break from this emotional roller coaster and that Thomas will have a miracle recovery.

    ReplyDelete